Quickbooks also become vulnerable to errors under different conditions and it can hamper the working of the software. In this article, we are going to talk about one such common glitch that a lot of users can face. We are going to talk about the Quickbooks error 6189 816. This error is a part of 6000 series errors and also, be fatal to the system and software. To help you resolve the error, we have come up with this article. We have mentioned how you can resolve the Quickbooks errors 6189 and 816 on your own. Go through the complete article to know more about it in detail.
Brief About Quickbooks Error 6189 816
The Quickbooks error 6189 is related to the Quickbooks company file. It is usually encountered while trying to access, open o create a company file in Quickbooks. There are also chances that you may face some other error also when you encounter this error. The error message states: “An error occurs when Quickbooks tried to access the company file.” You can face the error when the transaction log file is missing from the system or the user is not granted enough permissions. All the reasons associated with the errors are mentioned in the next section of the article.
Triggers for Quickbooks Error -6189 -816
Now, in this section of the article, we have explained to you the different reasons for which you can face the Quickbooks error -6189.
- You may face the error if the transaction log file is missing from the system.
- Also, in case the Quickbooks company file is corrupted or damaged.
- Other than this, if the user does not sufficient permissions to access the file, you can face the Quickbooks error 6189 816.
- Another reason for which you can face the Quickbooks error is that you are using an old and outdated version of the Quickbooks to open the file on the system. So, you will have to update Quickbooks to avoid errors.
Troubleshooting Methods to Fix Quickbooks Error 6189 816
The very basic method to fix the Quickbooks error 6189 is to update Quickbooks to the latest version. In case if that does not resolve the issue for you, we have explained other methods that you need to follow. Read the steps associated with each method to carry out the process easily.
Method 1: Use File Doctor Tool
The Quickbooks file doctor tool is launched to automatically detect and fix the Quickbooks company file issues. You can download the tool individually or you can use it with the help of the Quickbooks tool hub. Select the file that you wish to scan and then the tool will scan the file and detect issues with the file. It will then automatically fix the issue and you can then use the file. It is doesn’t fix the issue, switch to the next method.
Method 2: Start the System and Servers Again
The next solution that you can use to fix the Quickbooks error 6189 816 is restarting the whole system. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to start the server system again.
- For this, you need to know which server system in your network is. Other than this, in case you are employing Quickbooks enterprise hosting, you may have to consult an expert for restarting the server.
- After this, you will have to restart all the workstations in the network.
- When done, you need to open the Quickbooks application on your server system.
- In the end, start Quickbooks on all your workstations.
Method 3: Start Quick Fix My Program
Now, you can also get the Quick Fix my program feature in Quickbooks to detect and resolve the issues that you can face with the software. It will help you to fix the Quickbooks error -6189 -816 easily. follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you need to make sure that Quickbooks is not running on your system.
- When done, you will have to visit the official Quickbooks website and then look for the Quickbooks tool hub application.
- Save the downloaded file on the desktop.
- When done, you will have to open the downloaded file and then the installation window will open on the screen.
- You will now have to follow all the steps appearing on the screen and also, agree to terms and conditions to complete the installation process. When done, you will have to start the Quickbooks tool hub by double-clicking on the file.
- Now, in the too, hub window, you will have to choose the option for program problems. When the window will load, you will have three tools options. Choose the Quick fix my program option.
- After this, wait for the process to complete.
- When the process will complete, you need to start Quickbooks on the system and then open the required company file.
Method 4: Use Quickbooks Database Server Manager
The database server helps to store the Quickbooks file and the other systems are considered as workstations. The Quickbooks database server manager will help you to run the Quickbooks application in multi-user mode without any issues. So, to fix the Quickbooks errors 6189 and 816, you can run the Quickbooks database manager from the Quickbooks tool hub on the system. Follow all the steps mentioned below.
- To begin with, you will have to start the Quickbooks tool hub on the system.
- After this, you will have to click on the option for Network issues.
- Now, in the next window, you will have to click on the Quickbooks database server manager option. In case you have not installed the Quickbooks application on the system, you will need to install it on the system.
- Once done, in case you can see the company files, you will have to click on the start scan option. In case you are not able to see the file, click on the Browse option and then redirect the tool to the location where you have stored the file.
- Next, the server manager will help you to fix all the firewall permissions on your own. When the process will complete, you will have to close the tool window.
- Finally, open the Quickbooks application on the system.
Method 5: Transfer the Company File to Local Drive
Another method that you can follow to fix the Quickbooks error -6189 is t move the company file to the local drive. Follow all the steps mentioned below.
- In case you have stored the company file on a removable disk, you can face the issue. So, you should copy the company file to the local drive.
- It is advised to store the company file on the hard drive. It may seem that storing the file on online platforms are more convenient, you are advised not to store them on the online drive.
- Lastly, you will have to make sure not to store the company file on the removable drive. This is because then you won’t be able to run the file in multi-user mode. Also, you will have to make sure that you do no encrypt the file.
Method 6: Run the Quickbooks Refresher Tool
To close all the background processes running on the system, you can use the Quickbooks refresher tool. Below we have mentioned all the steps that you need to follow.
- To start with, you will have to get the Quickbooks refresher tool on the system. Install the files on the system by following all the instructions appearing on the screen.
- After this, you will have to make sure that no task is open in the Quickbooks application.
- Next, you will have to make sure that you are using only one version of the Quickbooks application, and also if there are more versions, you will have to close all the other versions.
- When done, you will have to open the Quickbooks refresher tool by clicking on the QBRefresher.exe file.
- Now, the tool will open on the screen and then follow all the instructions appearing on the screen to complete the installation process.
- Finally, restart the application on the system.
Method 7: Create a Backup of File and Restore the File
The next method that we recommend you to follow to fix the Quickbooks error -6189 -816 is to create a backup of the file and then restore the backup. Follow all the steps mentioned below.
- The very step is to create a backup of the file on your system.
- When done, you will have to click on the backup file and then copy them to your other system.
- You can do this with the help of an external device or a flash drive. Other than this, if you are connected to a network, you can copy the files through the network also.
- When copied, you will have to try to restore the file backup on the system.
Method 8: Resolve the Quickbooks Error -6189 Manually
Now, if the above methods didn’t help you, you can attempt to resolve the error manually. Follow all the steps mentioned below.
- The very step is to find the transaction log file and then right-click on it. You will then have to choose the option to rename the file.
- When done, you will have to make sure that sufficient permissions are provided to the users to access QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Also, you need to make sure that you have not encrypted the company file.
- Other than this, you will have to create a copy of the Quickbooks file and paste the file on the desktop. And if you are still not able to open the file, you need to move the file to the original folder.
To Wind Up
We have attempted to provide you with all the methods that you can use to fix the Quickbooks error 6189 816 error. In case you still face the error, we will advise you to seek help from a technical expert. Hopefully, the article has benefitted you.